Private chat can be easy and accessible.
Cryptocat is a fun, accessible app for having encrypted chat with your friends, right in your browser and mobile phone. Everything is encrypted before it leaves your computer. Even the Cryptocat network itself can't read your messages.
Cryptocat is open source, free software, developed by encryption professionals to make privacy accessible to everyone.
Group chat, file sharing, and more!
- Chat with groups of friends at the same time using Cryptocat's group chat encryption. Cryptocat's fun interface makes it easy!
- Send files and photos to friends quickly and easily, with the assurance that not even the Cryptocat network itself can read your data.
- Connect to Facebook Messenger to see which Facebook friends are also using Cryptocat, and set up encrypted chat with them instantly.
- Cryptocat does not anonymize you: While your communications are encrypted, your identity can still be traced since Cryptocat does not mask your IP address. For anonymization, we highly recommend using Tor.
- Cryptocat does not protect against key loggers: Your messages are encrypted as they go through the wire, but that doesn't mean that your keyboard is necessarily safe. Cryptocat does not protect against hardware or software key loggers which might be snooping on your keyboard strokes and sending them to an undesired third party.
- Cryptocat does not protect against untrustworthy people: Parties you're conversing with may still leak your messages without your knowledge. Cryptocat aims to make sure that only the parties you're talking to get your messages, but that doesn't mean these parties are necessarily trustworthy.